Bronze bracelets, Bronze Age, Moesgaard Museum, Aarhus.

Bronze bracelets, Bronze Age, Moesgaard Museum, Aarhus.
Bronze bracelets, Bronze Age, Moesgaard Museum, Aarhus.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Diary of a Hypochondriac


 That Bloody Blood-Pressure!

When I see a doctor or a nurse - they don't even have to wear a white doctor's smock - then my blood-pressure flies high, especially if they want to take my blood-pressure of course. So my doc had to try something else. He - his nurse actually, who's the sweetest nurse on earth - put a band on my left arm and a computer in a belt around my waist yesterday morning. I had to wear it for 24 hours. Then they'll get a script of the average blood-pressure. It was like a torture instrument in all 24 hours - in the day hours it was counting each 15 minutes, in the night hours each half hour. There was no peace. In the night I suddenly got cramps in my legs and said to myself that  it was this bloody blood-pressure apparatus!! My legs are still hurting, especially the right one. I'm sure this instrument can give you a coronary! Or maybe a cerebral brain thrombosis. It's dangerous. I feel a little confused this afternoon. Next time I'll deny to wear it!

But I had to go to the doc this morning to deliver this computer-instrument. And out came a piece of paper. The blood-pressure was still too high, both day and night. I have told them it's because I get bloody nervous as soon as I can feel the band beginning to tighten. Then I know it is counting and I can't concentrate. Awful. I don't understand why it is high at night. It must be all my nightmares! Fortunately my doc and his nurse have got a very well-developed sense of humour, and the nurse has a ready laughter. They really have to be humorous when they have to deal with a hypochondriac like me. I'm very difficult. But they claim that they'll soon keep a check on me no matter what. I have told my doc that I'm a hypochondriac, and I don't understand why he thinks its' so funny. I think it's deadly serious. 

I hope you've got a sense of humour too! ´ )

Source: myself

8 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

That contraption would give anybody high blood pressure. It seems to me that relaxing into life and finding joy in every day is the best prescription of all. Have a peaceful day of tranquil joy! Hugs!

Gerry Snape said...

I had 3 days with one of the heart contraptions and I'm sure it made me worse....but like yourself I have been told that when I go they will put on the stone.."well she said she was ill!"

Thyra said...

Thank you Teresa! I also feel the best if I'm left in peace from any medical investigations. I like to dig down in the Middle Ages, not in myself!
Grethe `)
Nosehugs to Buddy!

Thyra said...

Gerry! Three days! That was awful.
That's a good one with the stone.
Gallows Humour. "They say people die healthier these days!"
Grethe ´)

Joan said...

Oh dear. My friend Nora in Ireland wore a contraption like that too. Two things put her bp up she found. One was having to sit down to a big lunch on the dot at 12 noon while she was still busy at her job. (Nora is a nun and was then running a busy B&B) and the other was when she visited her doctor! Good luck with your health Grethe.

Thyra said...

Obviuosly there are many who's "afraid" of the doctor!! It's a typical example with your friend Nora She was so busy every day too. I think the bp will go down when I'm just living a usual life without all those interruptions where I have the calendar filled with doctors and hospital and I don't know what. When first they get a hold of you they won't let you go!
Thank you for your good wish, Joan.
Grethe ´)

Out on the prairie said...

I haven't figured how torelax at a docs or whenwearing their apparatus. Hope they can clear it up for you.

Thyra said...

Hello Steve. Thank you . My doctor is good. He's always ready to help me, so there is nothing wrong with him.
It's just the system and the pressure. I have told him how I feel about it. I'm sure he understands, but he cannot do witchcraft! There are limits for how much they can do.
I don't like to take medicine and this is a problem, when they try to help me! I'm a very impatient patient!
Thank you for your good wish, Steve.

Grethe `)