Monday, August 08, 2011

Dogue de Bordeaux / French Mastiff


I saw a huge dog the other day. I remember this race from the Tom Hanks movie "Turner and Hooch", but I had never seen it in real life. We had found a resting place for our coffee break by a river at Kolindsund. The dog was fetching sticks in the water, and it was a fine sight to see the muscles work in the shoulders of this big dog. When it came up with the stick it was so extremely proud! And its owner was also very proud! Unfortunately we had to leave because of my allergy. I must not touch dogs at all. Dogs want to talk to you, and they are so disappointed, if I walk away from them; they simply don't understand that I won't talk to them, so it's better to disappear at once. I take photos at a distance and then leave. But it was a wonderful dog with a friendly face.


What a face!
I found the name on Mr. Google, when I came home. And it was a mighty fine name! Dogue de Bordeaux, also named French Mastiff (or Bordeaux Bulldog); it's a big and heavy dog, who reminds about the bullmastiff, but it is centuries older. The Dogue de Bordeaux origins from the Roman molosses and was used as a watchdog against ravening dogs and wild animals,  but it had also other features, like shepherd dog, war dog, big game hunter and drover. The breed has been utilized in many different forms, from using their brawn to pull carts or haul heavy objects and used to protect castles of the European elite.


The race is still used as a watchdog in France and is considered their national watchdog.

Its past as a fearsome fighting dog has been replaced with a gentle and friendly family dog. It is intelligent and does not tolerate to be treated badly. It can also be stubborn, arrogant, and dominant. Early socialization for this breed is an absolute must. It is very attached to its family and loves children. It is a good watchdog, but it can be somewhat aggressive towards other dogs.

The massive head is a crucial breed characteristic. The Dogue de Bordeaux is claimed to have the largest head in the canine world, in proportion to the rest of the body.



The history of this dog is interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogue_de_Bordeaux


photo Kolindsund: 6. August 2011: grethe bachmann

4 comments:

Wanda..... said...

He's handsome and I'm sure he was friendly, but he sure has the capability to look fierce, doesn't he.

Teresa Evangeline said...

I have a friend who had four mastiff's (I don't know which type) with his now ex-wife. Maye that's why she's his ex. :) They look like they'd be a handful.

Thyra said...

Hej Teresa! Wow, four mastiffs -that must be why she left! Just imagine four huge dogs in a room, occupying the sofa. When I had dogs (before I got sick) I had dachshounds, and they were so lovely. I still miss having a dog.
Your Buddy is so sweet. Give him a nosehug from me!!
Grethe `)

Thyra said...

Hello Wanda! Yes, they say he's a family dog, but he looks a little too big for small children doesn't he?
cheers
Grethe